Saturday, November 16, 2013

What I'd Like to See- 6th Edition Codex Tyranids 2013/2014

There are a lot of rumbles and noise about the great devourer on the Internet, and lets just say I haven't read any of them. I am on a ship, Internet is slow and I am busy. But I am on liberty now, and can blog away. So I am going to post what I'd like to see in the upcoming release. Whether or not this goes hand in hand with any of the rumours is purely coincidental.
First off I have never played nids, but I have always been a fan and familiar with them, as they were one of my Brother's armies. I would love to play them, and they would be a fantastic hobby project (I would get old and new Carnifexes and Tyrants, as this is the army where some of the classic models still fit in beautifully, so much so I wish FW made new resins is the same style).

Anyway, on to the wish list

1- A mutation table. I loved this back in the 3rd ed codex. Squad mutations such as weapon beast and hive node. It was a great element to the genetic monsters, and could really add characterful models into squads of never ending chitin, breaking up what could otherwise be a monotonous paint job and hobby project, as well as being visually striking. Separate from the visual appeal, it added some tactical depth and options to squads. Think of it as the Nid version of special and heavy weapons.
2- Effective genestealers. Right now they are passe. These should be one of the most ferocious CC units in the game.

3- Speaking of Close Combat, this, of any army released in 6th thus far, should be the army that makes CC viable. While still effective, the game has definately shifted towards shooting. Nids should be the book that makes Tau players quake in thier boots. Furthermore, it shouldn't be just numbers alone that does this, as there is a limit as to the number of models a person can reasonably fit on the board. Come on, be clever now GW.
4- Speaking of Genestealers, Stealer Cult Allies would be GREAT. My guess is just allow nonvehicle/noncharacter allies from codex IG but require a Broodlord be taken as their detachments HQ and a minimum of 1 genestealer unit in the main detachment. And maybe give the IG some boost, like +1I or something to represent their foul xenos corruption.
5- A monster that can go Toe to Toe with the the Riptide and Wraithknight. If GW has to do a plastic Hierodule, then so be it. If any army was ready for a big plastic kit, it is this one. What would be cool is to see a Carnifex that is to scale with a Land Raider, but that is just me and I know that won't happen.
6- Versataile choices in every FOC slot. Even if nids get allies, they won't be for everyone. This is where having a really usefull unit in each spot on the force org chart would really be called for. The nids cna't supplement their forces to fill in their weak spots. They have to be self sufficient. What would take this concept to the next level is if the units all round are all well balanced and okay and then made GREAT though synergistic effects that focus the list around a core group of units, like a warrior-guant centric horde or a ravenor-trygon vanguard etc. etc. Themes within the army that allow it to build power off itself.