Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Aeronautica Imperialis Gaming Mat, complete with terrain!

Discordian here! So like a lot of people right now I've found I had a lot of time on my hands, and I finally finished a weird side project I've been working on.

Aeronautica Imperialis Gaming Mat, complete with terrain!
Shown with Bio-Titan to scale

I ordered the gaming mat from Deepcut Stuidos (not a sponsored ad, I just really like them and I also got to say Giant Lithuanian Mouse-pad to my wife when she asked what I bought). They will make you pretty much anything you want, you can even upload your own images. I purposely made the hexs very light because I wasn't sure if I'd only use this for new Aeronautica.
The islands and the clouds was me trying to add 3D elements that didn't actually mess with game play. I ordered some pre-cut hexs off of Amazon (if you do this be careful how they're measured, took me awhile to find the right size).

For the Islands, at first I had just glued the hexs to themselves. Then I dropped one and it exploded. After that I cut out a plasticard outline for each and attached them to that.
For the clouds I thought about getting some plastic rods, but shelter-in-place for my area has been in effect for awhile. So I made do with what I had and used flight stands, that I drilled out and stacked to each other, and with the bases attached to the underside of the clouds.
There are two things left I want to do....

1. I want to make better bottom supports for the clouds, they were standing without anything but were definitely not stable enough to put a plane on top. So I took some plasticard and etched a narrow hex pattern to connect the stands at the bottom.

I'm fairly sure I want to go back and make a better versions that go under the mat and incorporates magnets.

2. I'm going to need more hexs......

Amazon.com: Divine Designs Cute Tropical Nature Island Volcano ...