Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Red Hunters Tactical Squad

I used to always want to do a Deathwatch Army. The fluff is cool and the new models are gorgeous. But now everyone and their mom is doing one, I lost some interest. Maybe I'll do up a kill team someday here in the future, but for now I had to figure out something to do with my Deathwatch models, I had a brilliant idea that also fortunately fit PERFECTLY and coincided with a list that I am going to take to an event next year (I'll leave you guessing at which one for now). As well these guys were 1/2 of my September commitment for 1 Hour a Night on Facebook and the Independent Characters Hobby Progress Challenge. So it is nice to be half done in the 1st week.

With all that said, I give you Red Hunters Space Marines.

It really is a natural fit. For those of you who don't know who the Red Hunters are click this link. And if you want to see their rules, click here. 

These guys aren't painted to my normal standards, but they still look pretty good IMO. The idea is for a tournament quality army that can pop in low light. My typical approach with BA is really nice I feel, but last year at Adepticon, so much of their detail was just lost due to the lighting of the room. We all noticed that we had to take a much more bold approach to painting. Here is my attempt.
They were done by multiple drybrushings of silver and then washes of Blood Letter glaze for the red and Seraphim Sepia for the gold. Simple and fast. Painted all the marines in an evening (after I did 1 test model the night before), did the bases in another.

 The Multi-melta is my favourite of the group. I converted it from a Sternguard heavy flamer and a FW Scimitar Jetbike MM, magnetized on. These guys are eventually suppossed to be super multi-purpose (able to use both Codex SM and DW) that I needed to be able to switch out options.
And as you can see I messed around with a bunch of different lighting angels. This was the concept behind the metallic base, so that in any lighting, they would look "hightlighted" and pop.