Monday, January 31, 2011

Grey Knights 2011- What I'd Like To See

Well, after a day of exlporing as I wait to head to my ship here in Japan, I sit down and begin to think of what looms on the horizon and likely what I will not be around to see drop: Grey Knights.

I have seen the rumours as I am sure all of you have. They do seem to be doing these paragons of the Imperium justice. There are only 2 things I worry about.
1- They play too much like Blood Angels
2- They fall victim to the mech meta-game

Lets Address #1
Replace Jesus with the Blood Angels. Then the above works perfectly. I do know that GK will be a viable Deep Strike army. Probably have the potential to deploy entirely from deep striking like the 9th legion as well. And I agree with this. But should they be able to do it as well as DoA armies? Well, I know in the fluff that they are really precise with their teleportation technology. They are the best humanity has to offer, so they are equipped with the best. BUT how to represent this without stepping on the toes of another army (or stomping on them as GW is oft to do)?
Well, it isn't in DS vehicles as well, seeing as BA now do that. But I wouldn't be surprised if their Land Raiders can DS as well. And we know that the GK already have Storm Ravens. Whereas these are HS for the BA, and I believe they will be for the GK as well, we may see these as FA or even Dedicated Transport. I wouldn't be too surprised if this is so.
So what is the answer? Well maybe some Teleportation Strategic Redployment. OR what I can really see happening is the ability to re-roll on the mishap table or an alteration of the table lessening the chances of BAD things happening. This would definately make sense with their super awesome tech, without making them function in the same manner of the Blood Angels. I would whole heartedly approve of this.
Another thing I am worried about: FNP. I really think GW is starting to hand this out too much. Including in the BA, and definately in DE. I can see it happening again in the GK codex. A better representation of their martial prowess I believe would be alot of 2 wound models with Eternal Warrior, and maybe a bunch of invulnerable saves tossed around or psychic powers granting such saves. This can make the army tough, but in a different manner and a more fitting manner as well.
One last thing is special weapons. Infernus pistols to be specific. The GK have a long history of gauntlet mounted weapons, and now the Sanguinary Guard have these spiffy wrist-meltas. Will we see a cross over? I actually hope so, which leads me to #2

So #2

The meta-game is still Mech IMO. Vehicles are great. Even DE use their light tanks in waves. It seems almost every army's strongest list involves as many vehicles and cheap scoring units you can fit in.
So how does an army of Super Elite, Super Expensive INFANTRY fit into this?
Well the answer is this:
Melta-Guns! And they aren't just for close combat, though this codex will only re-enforce the notion that all armies need vast amounts of them, seeing as they will be a sure fire way for units that are poor at combat to kill off 2+ saving GK teminators.. So the meta-game of which weapons to take won't change there. What I am worried about is a lack of melta in the GK codex. I can just see it happening, and that will be a shame. Because then we will see these units of super awesome close combat gods facing just waves of chimeras. Sure the meaty bits of gaurdmen inside would be mowed down by them, but the tanks themselves will just pummel the GK's small numbers with high volume fire. It will be leafblower list time all over again.
To avoid this, I hope to see plenty of melta in the army, and combined with their DS potential and low numbers of vehilces I hope we see an army that is able to threaten the dominance of mech heavy lists. If a small number of GK can arrive and pop open alot of armour quick and then sweep through the guys inside, we may see a need to shift away from investing a vast number of points in armour. The problem here is going to be just how outnumbered the GK will always be and a possibility that even with high occurance of melta, they may just not have the numbers to eliminate nough tanks in a heavy mech army. I hope GW can come up with a way around this problem.

So besides adressing these concerns what would I like to see?
1- Though I know they got nixed, I still have my fingers crossed and breath held for Jetbikes.
2- Chaplains and Librarians. It is an SM chapter, they do have these positions. And they do exist in the novels. Maybe not the same rules as SM chaps and libs, but a similar role
3- Ability to take small elite squads, like the SW Wolf Gaurd. This would help address issue #2 above, allowing a player to increase the number of units they have so they can engage more targets.
4- 2 wound models
5- Awesome walker choices
6- A monstrous creature

Well, those are my thoughts for the day.

This may be my last post for a while, but we shall see. Treating each one like it is potentially just that.