Thursday, October 27, 2016

The Dream Army I am trying to build (specialized Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum)

We all have them. Dream Armies. Dream Projects. Things that if time and money were no object, we'd pursue them.

Well I decided to try and make one of those armies of mine. An Imperial Guard Rough Rider Company.
Now why that one? Out of all the projects I could choose from (Brass Army of Khorne, Knight Household, etc. etc.) why that one?

Well a few reasons
1- I think it will be super fun to play. I already have 6 or 7 list variants of all variety of fluff to competitive levels (as competitive as a rough rider company can be) and I am excited to play ALL of them.
2- It is visually impressive IMO. The list variants (all between 1500 and 2500) revolve around a core of 60 to 80 cavalry in each list. That is a lot of horses. A LOT. Imagine that on the table now. Pretty cool, right?
3- It is unique. I haven't seen others really do a full on Rough Rider company before. Just haven't. TO me it would be cool to roll up to a store, get out my army and turn heads with it.
4- It is doable from a hobby perspective. I have a million dioramas running through my mind, which I could likely execute, but probably not as clearly as a Rough Rider army.

With the why, down, now I need to ask the WHAT!?

You would think my vision on this would be clear, but it is actually still VERY muddy. I know I like the lists I made (they all use the Death Korps of Krieg Death Rider Squadron from the Siege of Vraks). I know I like the concept. What I am unsure of is the Regiment! Here is what I have narrowed it down to


1- Attilans- As of writing this, this is my favourite choice. However it would also by far be the hardest and most expensive to execute. Basically, they involve a lot of greenstuff and time. A LOT. Really makes me wish GW would just release a new Rough Rider set.
2- Vostroyans- Still a very likely option. A balance between the Attilans and Van Diemen's world guys in terms of cost and covertability.
3- Praetorians- This was the initial plan. The problem I have with it now is it seems too obvious, and plenty of people have made Praetorian RR. It would sap away some of the uniqueness of the army.
4- Mordians- Really the only reason to go this route is to make the army look like the USMC. That would be exactly how I paint them No other motivation.
5- Van Diemen's World- Up until recently, this is what I was FOR SURE going to do. Basically it is just rough riders with outback/aussie style slouch hats. Nothing really special, but not bad looking. Also, the most feasible option really.
6- Chiros Red Guard- My least favourite option, but the most manageable. Based off the old BoLS Marcharian Crusade book (great resource for a campaign still, wish they still did things like that). Basically it is just use the pistoliers as they come. Legs, torsos, heads, everything, and add some lances. I really don't want to go this route TBH. Just doesn't appeal to me and the project would likely stagnate and I'd lose the enthusiasm I have for it.

So with the why and what out of the way, I reach the harder part: How!

Well first of all I need 80 horses. This is actually REALLY HARD. So I could go with non-GW horses, and that is doable. HOWEVER, I really really REALLY like the Empire/Freeguild pistolier horses. Not only are they GW (which I need to have at least 50% of the models be for playability purposes) they are also the biggest 28mm scale horses on the market. Well, all Warhammer/AoS horses are, but these are the only generic ones. All the rest come with various faction details that are not useable. They also need to be the current horses, as the old Medieval unbarded horses they made are smaller (I bought 6 off someone and so I can trade those away too).
I have 5 right now. I really need to source more. It is looking more and more like I am just going to have to take a very long time doing so for cost management purposes. Ideally, I could flip the sprues sans horse online to subsidize the cost of buying 16 pistolier kits, but no one seems really interested. That said, if you are interested in those, PLEASE let me know. If you are sitting on a bunch of pictoliers and don't mind me buying you OTHER horses as substitutes (fireforge games and warlord games both make great plastic horses) then I will be MORE THAN HAPPY to work with you.

Chiros Red Guard
I could take the torsos and get some Cadian or Victoria miniatures legs and build Chiros Red Guard squads, paint them and flip them. BUT that does not help me on the front end, only the back end. Also, it significantly increases the time involved in the project. And to justify the cost, I would have to paint these guys first.

As for the riders themselves, Victoria Miniatures is once again the best option. Plus these torsos likely to represent the 4+ armour save.

So basically, in a TLDR kinda way, I need opinions on the regiment to do or if you have horses to sell or trade. What route should I take this project? I am doing it, for sure. But feedback is appreciated.