Well I beg to differ. Right now in any codex you buy a form of power weapon all at the same cost and they vary the abilities. Want something more powerful, well spring the 10 points for a powerfist, 15 for a hammer.
- Power Sword: S: User, AP: 3 Melee
- Power Staff: S: +2 AP: 4 Melee, Concussive
- Power Axe: S: +1 AP: 2 Melee, Unwieldy
- Power Lance: S: +1/User AP: 3/4 Melee *(First Turn, higher profile)
- Power First: S: x2 AP: 2 Melee, Unwieldy, Specialist Weapon
- Thunder Hammer: S: x2 AP: 2 Melee, Unwieldy, Specialist Weapon, Concussive
- Lightning Claw: S: User AP: 3 Melee, Shred, Specialist Weapon.
-Countless specialized ones, including AP2 at initiative weapons
It is the inconsistent performance for cost that bothers me, as well as some of the non-sensical decision made, especially IRT to power axes.
I will address each weapon at a time.
|Dante's Axe... The oldest most Bad A$$ Marine there is, and he strikes at I1. What. The. Heck.|
BUT at the same time, that would become "Too Good". I agree. That is why, if this were to be done, I would say bump an axe UP 5 points. Basically it is already the bridge between Swords and Fists, so why not cement that fact in terms of cost and capability as well.
Power Lance- To me, it should ALWAYS be S:User. AP3 first round, AP4 subsequent is fine. But instead of the S bonus, it should be an I bonus. The idea of a lance/spear is to hit your enemy BEFORE they are in range to hit you. That is why in Napoleonic Warfare, Lancers were maintained to counter the largely Sabre based cavalry of Europe. They had the reach to strike FIRST. SO to me, a lance should have a +1 or +2 I bonus on the charge.