Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Siege the Tower GT- Custodes Coverage

So at the end of may I attended the first GT pu on by an amazing local group
These guys really know how to get events going. Terrain was great (this is most important to note as there have been several GTs missing the mark on this lately). Missions were fun! Event was a blast. All good people and good times. No bad games or bad feelings that I experienced.

Unfortunately, this was back in MAY (really before Caladius were SUPER EXPLODING. But if you look back at my unit reviews, I had said this was the unit to use and the Telemon was fading) so I forget most of the details to write up a more extensive Batrep. I do know I discussed in in Hobby Progress on last month's episode of our Allies of Inconvenience Podcast, so check that out if you want to hear more.

First off my Army. I played Custodes for the event and took home Second for Painting (lost to a Wobbly Modeler using their board from Adepticon, which is an impressive thing if you've never seen it).
My list was as follows
Custodes Battalion- 1970 pts, 8 CP
HQ- Captain General Trajann Valoris- 185
HQ- Shield Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike- 169: Lance, Misericordia, Salvo Launcher, Warlord; Relic- Auric Aquilis
Troops- Custodian Guard (3)- 169: 2 x Spear & Misericordia, Sword & Storm Shield
Troops- Custodian Guard (3)- 169: 2 x Spear & Misericordia, Sword & Storm Shield
Troops- Custodian Guard (3)- 170: Spear &  Misericordia, 2 x Sword & Storm Shield
Elites- Vexilia Praetor: Misericordia, Storm Shield, Vexilia Magnifica
Fast Attack- Vertus Praetors (3)- 282: Misericordia, Hurricane Bolters, Lances
Fast Attack- Vertus Praetors (3)- 282: Misericordia, Hurricane Bolters, Lances
Heavy Support- Caladius Grav-Tank- 210: Twin Illiastus Accelerator Cannon, Twin Lastrum Bolt Cannon
Heavy Support- Caladius Grav-Tank- 210: Twin Illiastus Accelerator Cannon, Twin Lastrum Bolt Cannon

This isn't the list I initially wanted to run. I was going to do Blood Angels, but I wasn't getting the things I needed to finished painting done in time.

Game 1 vs Chaos Soup (WIN, 35-12)
Opponent's List
Thousand Sons Supreme Command Det
HQ- Ahriman on Disc
HQ- Exalted Sorcerer on Disc
HQ- Exalted Sorcerer on Disc
HQ- Exalted Sorcerer on Disc

CSM Flawless Hose Supreme Command Det
HQ- Chaos Lord W/ Jump Pack, Thunderhammer
HQ- Chaos Lord W/ Jump Pack, Thunderhammer
HQ- Lord Discordant on Helstaker w/ Baleflamer
HQ- Lord Discordant on Helstaker w/ Baleflamer
HQ- Master of Possession

CSD Nurgle Batallion
HQ- Poxbringer
HQ- Sloppity Bilepipper
Troops- Nurglings (6)
Troops- Plaugebearers (29): Plagueridden, Icon, Instrument
Troops- Plaugebearers (29): Plagueridden, Icon, Instrument

Overall, not much to say about Game one. I think my opponent could have better deployed his plague bearers (intertwining them instead of doing 2 blocks, which allowed me to focus on one and open a hole to move through) and better managed his Chaos Shrimp Lords, but I don't think he expected the bikes to handle them as well as they did.

Game 2 vs Genestealer Cult (LOSS, 34-8)
Opponent's List
GSC, Cult of the Four-Armed Emperor Battalion
Deliverance Bloodsurge Det
HQ: Acolyte Iconward, Field Commander
HQ: Primus
Troops: Acolyte Hybrids (10)- 4 Rending Claws, 4 Rocksaws, Flamer, Icon
Troops: Acolyte Hybrids (10)- 4 Rending Claws, 4 Rocksaws, Flamer, Icon
Troops: Acolyte Hybrids (20)- 12 Rending Claws, 6 Rocksaws, Icon

GSC, Mixed Cult Battalion
Anoited Throng
HQ: Magus, Familiar, Relic-Crouchling
HQ: Patriarch, Warlord, Familiar
Troops: Brood Brother Infantry (10)
Troops: Brood Brother Infantry (10)
Troops: Brood Brother Infantry (10)
Elites: Aberrants (10)- 8 Picks, 2 Improvised Weapons
Fast Attack: Atlan Jackals (5)- Shotguns and democharges
Heavy Support: Brood Brother Heavy Weapons Squad (3)- Mortars

Brood Brothers Air Wing Detachment
Flier: Vulture Gunship w/ Twin Punishers
Flier: Vulture Gunship w/ Twin Punishers
Flier: Vulture Gunship w/ Twin Punishers
Like 40 dudes appeared in front of them a minute later, with 5 bikes to their right
Abberants withstood bikes, nearly killed the squad, and then withstood a Captain's Charge.
There were 2 vultures here until I charged and killed one for spite
Well I killed his fliers and a lot of guys. But without a screen I was on the back foot from the beginning. Lost to a better player fair and square. However Abberants are a little OP for their cost IMO, but that was far from the determining factor. Even without them or had I killed them, I would have lost. Maybe a little better score, but no chance of winning.

Game 3 vs Chaos Soup (LOSS, 34-12)
Opponent's List
Thousand Sons Supreme Command
HQ: Ahriman on Disc
HQ: Daemon Prince of Tzeentch, Malefic Talon, Wings, Warp Bolter
HQ: Daemon Prince of Tzeentch, Malefic Talon, Wings, Warp Bolter
LoW: Magnus the Red

CSD Undivided Battalion
HQ: Herald of Slaneesh on Steed
HQ: Kairos Fateweaver
Troops: Nurglings (3)
Troops: Nurglings (3)
Troops: Nurglings (3)

Death Guard Super Heavy Aux Det
LoW: Mortarion


This game was WAY CLOSER than the Score Suggests. Like Bottom of three was the make or break. I got a charge onto Morty, Magnus AND Fateweaver after having shot them. THEY WERE ALL IN THEIR LAST HEALTH BRACKET. LIKE LESS THAN 4 WOUNDS EACH. AND I FAILED TO KILL ANY OF THEM. They then proceeded to kill all of my Bikes and take out both Caladius (along with a bunch of smites). After that it was done. Had I killed any one of them I think the game could have been a draw, or a 1-2 point difference for either of use. Had I killed 2 in that turn, I would have won. The dice gods did not favour me.

Game 4 vs Imperial Soup (Knights) (LOSS, 17-16)
Opponent's List
House Taranis Knight Lance Super Heavy Det
LoW: Armiger Helverin
LoW: Armiger Helverin
LoW: Knight Crusader- Character, Heirloom: Endless Fury, Warlord Trait Cunning Commander, Meltagun, Twin Icarus, , Avenger Gatling, Heavy Flamer, Rapid Fire Battle Cannon, Heavy Stubber
LoW: Knight Crusader- Character, Heirloom: Fury of Mars, Warlord Trait Knight of Mars, Melta Gun, Thermal Cannon, Twin Icarus, Avenger Gatling Cannon, Heavy Flamer
LoW: Knight Preceptor- Character, Heirloom: The Helm Dominatus, Warlord Trait Ion Bulwark, Multi-Laser, Thunderstrike Guantlet

Cadian Battalion
HQ: Company Commander
HQ: Commissar
Troops: Infantry Squad (10)
Troops: Infantry Squad (10)
Troops: Infantry Squad (10)
Elites: Platoon Commander
Elites: Tech Priest Enginseer

This was the most tactical and precise game I played of the weekend. Had it been any other deployment map than lengthwise I think I would have won outright because he would not have been able to avoid the caladius as much as he did. Even still I won the game at the top of Turn 6 and lost it in the bottom. My calladius really controlled his knight movement and I had to use a DS squad of guardians attacking his Cadians to bring his Knights out of position for my bikes to act (so they didn't get into combat until T4). Top of six I got Slay the Warlord with my warlord. Bottom of 6 he got his 4+ Zombie-Knight roll with his last command point, brought back his Warlord, as used it to kill mine... all with 1 wound left. 2 point swing in the score... and he won by 1.

Game 5 vs Imperial Soup (Admech) (WIN, 13-7)
Opponent's List
Mars Battalion
HQ: Cawl
HQ: Tech Priest Dominus, Macrostubber, Volkite Blaster, Relic- Autocaduceus of Arkhan Land
Troops: Kataphron Destroyers (5)- Plasma Culverins & Phosphor Blasters
Troops: Skitari Ranger (7)- Omnispex, Galvanic Rifle, 2 x Transauranic Arquebus
Troops: Skitari Ranger (7)- Omnispex, Galvanic Rifle, 2 x Transauranic Arquebus
Heavy Support: Kastellan Robots (2)- 2 x Heavy Phosphor Blasters
Heavy Support: Onager Dunecrawler- Broad Spectrum Tether, Cognis Heavy Stubber, Nuetron Laser & Cognis Heavy Stubber
Heavy Support: Onager Dunecrawler- Broad Spectrum Tether, Cognis Heavy Stubber, Icarus Array

House Raven Exalted Court Super Heavy Det
LoW: Armiger Warglaive
LoW: Armiger Warglaive
LoW: Knight Errant- Character, Warlord Trait Ion Bulwark, Iron Storm Missile Pod, Meltagun, Reaper Chainsword, Thermal Cannon

Imperial Assassins Aux Support Det
Elites: Vindicare Assassin

This game went much like my first. I think this time the map did my opponent no favours, as with the NOVA "L" he was unable to set up good fire lanes with his shooty army, and I just got in there and did what Custodes did best and killed. I wasn't too worried about objectives at this point, as I had already lost 3 games, and instead focused on just having a solid game.